Week One: Dating Apps
8 days in and I have completed the following:
- Downloaded Tinder and updated profile pictures
- Downloaded Happn and attempted to figure out how to use it
- Started to actually use the League app that I already had downloaded
My initial reaction is that this is so much damn work! What pictures to use, what to say on my profiles, what am I even looking for? I hate this, but know that I need to keep moving forward. My friends are holding me accountable because they keep asking about my progress to which my "not a damn thing" response is getting old to even myself.
Tinder:
I've matched with 11 guys. Have conversed or at least said hi to 7 of them. I haven't kept any type of log to see how many times I swipe right in comparison to swiping left. It feels like 25/1 cause I'm a superficial jerk! I also automatically swipe left to anyone that is too good looking to too fit. I assume you are too into yourself and that it won't work out anyways. Probably not the best tactic?
Tony, 35 Army:
Initiated a conversation with me. His profile says he is 35 but he does not look 35 at all. Maybe 25 tops. He is Filipino (probably) and says he works at JBLM but has an apartment in Seattle *side eye* He doesn't use appropriate punctuation and I suspect that English may not be his first language. Conversation is labored. He literally said to me "you haven't given birth or been married" no punctuation. What!!?
Tony: You haven't given birth or been married
Me: Nope.
Tony: I've always been looking for someone like you
Me: Single and childless?
Tony: Yes
Me: Setting the bar low, I don't think that is that out of the norm
Tony: It hard to find here
Me: You should spend more time in Seattle.
I really knew this wasn't going anywhere. But I figured I'd keep trying. He hit me up again the next day and I asked if he planned to going on a date anytime soon.
Me: Are you planning to meet up or plan a date anytime soon?Needless to say I stopped responding. Waited 2 days then unmatched with him. Boy bye! Things that this conversation reconfirmed for me. I have a huge bias towards military guys. I always think they are being sketchy. I am not patient (we all already know this) and I need someone to pay attention to punctuation and grammar. I am the worst at typos so I really can't judge... well I shouldn't judge. but I do.
Tony: Maybe Why
Me: I just don't want to waste either of our time.
Tony: You think I'm a waste of time
Me: I didn't say you were a waste of time. I said I didn't want to waste our time. I am not looking for a pen pal
Tony: OK
Me: Let me know when
Tony: OK sometime soon
Other Matches:
Byron 33, I initiated conversation. We talked with a few messages back and forth for 4 days. It was fine. Nothing too exciting. I don't plan to initiate conversation but would respond if he messaged me again.
Paul 36, My friends and I drafted a message to him during our lunch break yesterday. It was about tacos and he has not responded.
Mike 32, Seemed kind of aggressive and rude from the beginning. He had those fake reviews on his profile that were clearly made up. Which I initially found funny, I told him I liked his rave reviews. He said, you realize they aren't real right? No-fucking-duh. Insert more mansplaining words. *eye roll* boy bye. Unmatched
Mario 35, Initiated conversation last night by saying "ambition and confidence" from my profile. We talked for a bit then I was tired and went to sleep. He seems interesting we got in a conversation about how our friends/coworkers would describe us which I liked because it was really different than the typical where are you from, what do you do for work questions. He uses a lot more emojis than I would think a 35 year old man would and actually called me fam at one point... but what do I know!? I do not plan to reach out to him again but I would respond if he messaged me.
Amarjeet 32, I initiated contact. His profile said he was looking for someone to explore the city with so I asked if he found someone he responded "I have now :)" We talked a bit about how long he's been in Seattle and how I am a Seattle native. That's all. I don't plan to reach out to him again. Will probably unmatch.
So far this week I confirmed that I hate this! I don't want to prioritize this and I really don't think that these apps are going to be fruitful for me. I need to meet people in person. I am not a big fan of texting in general which some people may or may not know about me. Too many ways to read into text messages. I need voice tones and facial expressions. At the end of the day today I got a message from a friend who said she had a date for me. I asked for the details and she hasn't responded! I have been asking all my friends to set me up on a blind date. So far nobody knows anyone...
I still haven't met my goal of going out on a date this month. Also, I don't really know how to use Happn, I'll write about that and the League in the next post.
Comments
Post a Comment